Wirral Festival of Firsts was established in Hoylake in 2011 to deliver an innovative, community based arts festival to encourage participation, the showcasing of local talent as well as the opportunity for the community to access and enjoy some examples of the best art, music and poetry in the country.
While Hoylake remains the main hub of the festival, there are now events in New Brighton and West Kirby. The festival puts on a wide range of affordable ticketed events, and many free events in the areas of Art, Music, Poetry, Theatre, Tales, Talks, Film and Writing.
The Festival is run entirely by volunteers consisting of an elected executive committee supported by steering groups and managers responsible for different aspects of the Festival.
Executive and Steering Committees Members 2014
- Briony Anderson – Evaluation and Writing programme;
- Chris Barron – Theatre Programme;
- Susanne Christian – Writing Programme coordinator;
- Stirling Dutton - Treasurer;
- Linda Gardiner - Film Programme and chair of Parade steering group;
- John Gorman - Festival Director;
- Peter Grant - Press Consultant;
- Jackie Hall – Festival Management;
- Clare Kirwan - Poetry Competition and e-newsletter;
- Lorraine McKinley – Community show;
- Sue Powell - Volunteer Co-ordinator;
- Cathy Roberts - Poetry Proms Coordinator;
- Barbara Singleton - Art Programme Chair;
- Philip Stanley – Secretary and Event Safety Officer;
- Judy Ugonna - Festival Manager;
- Mike Waring, Art Group and Photography coordinator.
Festival tickets on sale from
Online: Tickets Wirral www.ticketswirral.com
Other: Acorn Picture Framing, HELP Shop, Urbane, Holiday Inn Express, Hoylake and Staacks, West KIrby